Pages

2/20/13

Beneath The Glitter, Elle and Blair Fowler Review.

Title - Beneath The Glitter.
Author - Elle and Blair Fowler.
Publisher - St. Martin's Griffin.
Rate - 3/5 Stars.


I wanted to do a quick review of this book. I'm not going to go into character details, but instead stick to the overall basics of how I felt regarding this story!

Synopsis - From Internet stars Elle and Blair Fowler comes a scintillating new novel that takes readers Beneath the Glitter of the glitzy L.A. social scene.

Welcome to a place where dreams are made.  And where nothing—and no one—is ever what it seems. After their make-up and fashion videos went viral on YouTube, sisters Sophia and Ava London are thrust into the exclusive life of the Los Angeles elite.  Here fabulous parties, air kisses, paparazzi and hot guys all come with the scene. Sophia finds herself torn between a gorgeous bartender and a millionaire playboy, and Ava starts dating an A-list actor.  But as they’re about to discover, the life they’ve always dreamed of comes with a cost.

Beneath the glitter of the Hollywood social scene lies a world of ruthless ambition, vicious gossip…and betrayal.  Someone close to them, someone they trust, is working in the shadows to bring the London sisters falling down. And once the betrayal is complete, Sophia and Ava find themselves knee-deep in a scandal that could take away everything they care about, including the one thing that matters most—each other.


I've watched Elle and Blair's YouTube videos for years and I adore them! When I found out they had a book coming out I was very interested. Interested in a way that I was intrigued, yet confused. These two girls are beauty guru's who basically blew up over night on YouTube and have branched out in many ways, like their own make-up and cell phone case line. Etc. They're very accomplished, but I never saw them branching out into writing... I honestly wasn't expecting anything phenomenal and the book reeled me in out of curiosity. I never insult people's work because I think anyone who can write carries a fantastic imagination and talent. However, it was weird to think that both of them wrote a book that is basically a more scandalous version of their own lives. I had mixed emotions, but I easily fell into the trap.

It's honestly a good book...

The more I got into it the more I was unable to put it down. It's a very quick and easy read. It's cute, girly, and somewhat suspenseful. The characters were more of your every day Hollywood types, but otherwise relatable. I enjoyed reading about their adventures with their close friends, their relationships, and the bond they share as sisters. There's a bit of drama to spice everything up and enough intrigue to make you continue to turn the page. For two girls who've never really written anything other than a blog post before, I think they did a fantastic job with the story. I also noticed that as I got further into the book it was almost as if I could see the writing progress in front of me. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.

One thing I'd like to see more of is Elle and Blair's original writing style. I know it was a joint effort and that's amazing, but I'd like to see something a little more personal between the two. I'd like to see what the girls can come up with on their own and then join up ideas. The book was very fluid and I couldn't tell it was co-written whatsoever, which is initially a good thing because it's supposed to flow. I think it'd just be cool what to see what came from who. 
If you like Lauren Conrad's books, I'm sure you'll love this. 


1 comment:

  1. Great web site you have here.. It's difficult to find high quality writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

    Also visit my web page: mp3 player

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. Comments are such a thoughtful gesture that I appreciate beyond measure! Thank you.