Pages

12/11/11

Sophie & Carter Review.

Author - Chelsea Fine.
Publisher - Acacia Publishing.
Rating - Five Stars.

Theme Song - "A Thousand Years" - Christina Perri.


Synopsis - While other high school seniors are dreaming about their futures, Sophie and Carter are just trying to make it through each day. Carter is overwhelmed by issues at home as he struggles to support his mother. Meanwhile, next door neighbor Sophie is left to care for her three younger siblings in place of their absent and troubled mother. All that holds these two best friends together is each other, and knowing that each night they'll sit together on Sophie's front porch swing and escape from reality, if just for awhile. But as their relationship reaches a turning point and high school graduation nears, will their friendship become something more?



I interviewed the author, Chelsea Fine before I read Sophie & Carter and began to fall in love with the premise of the book right away. Once I had the book in my hands, I just couldn't put it down. I love Chelsea Fine's writing capabilities and how she painted such a beautiful storyline from beginning to end. 

One of the main character's, Sophie has been through hell and back. Sophie is eighteen and the legal guardian of her three younger siblings, "the little's" because of their estranged mother. Sophie does everything she can to be not only a mother figure, but a father figure, a sister, a friend, and a helping hand in all regards. Sophie has to make so many sacrifices day in and day out, but she never once complains. She's such a strong character, an independent character, and a character I think a lot of us could relate to in the sense that regardless of what she does go through, she's still just a normal girl. She craves normality more than anything.

Carter, the other "main" character lives in the house directly across from Sophie's. The two of them have grown up together. Carter comes from a difficult background of an abusive father and a mother who has now lost her mind. Carter is caring in ever aspect, he's thoughtful, kind and passionate. Carter takes care of his mother, like Sophie takes care of "the little's." Except Carter has to do a lot of pretending, a lot of playing make believe... because his mother is so far gone, her brain doesn't even register the same wavelength as his anymore. Sophie & Carter know each others secrets, have heard each others cries, and have witnessed far more than either of them probably would have liked to. During school Sophie & Carter pretend as if they're not close to keep up appearances. This fact frustrated me in the beginning, but I began to understand it more as time went on.

The relationship between Sophie & Carter was something they didn't want tainted, they both looked toward one another as saviors. When they were alone on Sophie's porch every single night, the world melted away and both of them experienced moments of peace and serenity. The dynamic between them was adorable to watch unfold. They knew one another so well, but were still afraid to show their true feelings. As both of them finally opened up with one another, it was literally the sweetest thing, ever. It made my heart melt.

Both characters have a gigantic amount of things to deal with, of baggage, troubles and fears. The point of view continually switches from Sophie to Carter, back and forth, back and forth. I originally thought I wouldn't enjoy that but it turned out being exactly what fit the book.

I can't express how much I truly love this book. The only thing I could say negative about this book is the fact that I wish it had been much longer. Even though their were some very intense times in "Sophie & Carter," I feel like I could read it for hours on end, I feel like it's one of the stories I wish never did end. I highly recommend this book, it's such a quick read, but will create such a high impact with you. Also, Chelsea Fine is a total sweetheart and deserves all the recognition in the world! So, do check out her works: HERE.



4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed your review and I've added this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHH I can't believe your gonna send me this, your review makes me all the more excited!!!! :DDD Great review hun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds so great! I haven't seen that many reviews for it, so thanks for yours! I'm adding this to my tbr for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey! i'm a new follower here! :)

    stop by my blog if you have time and follow me back! :)

    http://www.lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. Comments are such a thoughtful gesture that I appreciate beyond measure! Thank you.