Pages

3/11/13

Divergent Casting News!!


As you may know, Divergent is one of my favorite books and series for that matter. When I heard the recent cast announcements I thought I'd post about them, but also gather up the entire confirmed cast so far to give us all a better look at how the movie is coming together!

I also found this movie synopsis/ storyline on Divergent's IMDB... it doesn't stray too far away from the actual book synopsis which I enjoy that fact quite a bit.

"Set in a futuristic dystopia where society is divided into five factions that each represent a different virtue, sixteen-year-olds have to decide if they want to stay in their faction or switch to another - for the rest of their lives.

Beatrice Prior makes a choice that surprises everyone. Then Tris and her fellow faction-members have to live through a highly competitive initiation process to live out the choice they have made. They must undergo extreme physical and intense psychological tests, that transform them all. But Tris has a secret she's kept hidden, because if anyone knew, it would mean a certain death. As she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, this secret might help her save the people she loves... or it might destroy her."




The main character in Divergent is Beatrice "Tris" Prior. I was very nervous about this character because in book to movie adaptions it's always a direct hit or miss, but Shailene Woodley has been casted and I couldn't be more pleased! I could not have picked a better Tris. I'm a big fan of Shailene's. You may recognize her from the ABC Family hit show "Secret Life of The American Teenager," but my favorite work of hers so far has been her role in "The Descendants" alongside George Clooney! 

In a interview with MTV Shailene talked about what kind of actor she believes should earn the role as her love interest "Four." -- “The thing about Four is that he has to be a man. No feminine actors, please,” she said. “You cannot walk in that room in pretty little boots and pretend you’re a man. I’m sorry. You need to walk in there, and you need to not have muscles that look good and not actually work. There have been a few guys that have this power about them. It’s a natural masculine power that some people have and some people don’t. There’s nothing good or bad or wrong or right about it. This character needs to be extremely masculine, and his eyes need to scream vulnerability and sensitivity. It’s really hard to find in a dude, especially a dude who can act.”
This makes me even more excited because she said everything I'm thinking and it shows how much she understands his character as well. Very impressive.



Caleb Prior, Tris's twin brother has been announced as well. He will be played by Ansel Elgort. Although, I am not aware of any of his work I think his appearance fits the character well and he compliments Shailene as Tris. So, let's just hope his acting chops are as exciting! It makes me even more hopeful to know that he is also starring in the new remake of "Carrie" alongside Chloe Grace Mortez. He must be doing something right, huh?


This next casting that I'm a bit obsessed with involves Maggie Q as "Tori." Tori is one of Tris's friends and allies while entering into "Dauntless." She's a tattoo artist and a all around badass. Coming from a background like the hit television show "Nikita" knows a little something about putting up a fight which is a major understatement. 






The next confirmed casting is Zoe Kravitz as Christina! The daughter of Lenny Kravitz has joined the Divergent cast to share the spotlight as a fellow "Dauntless" initiate and eventual friend. Tris and Christina share a lot in Divergent and I can't wait to see what Zoe does with the role. She is probably best known for starring in "X-Men First Class.



*I've also heard RUMORS about Kate Winslet being a part of the Divergent cast, but it hasn't been confirmed nor has it hinted to what character she might play, so that remains unknown.*




Now I'm just going to sit back and not so patiently await the announcement regarding who is going to play "Four."


Thoughts??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Comments are such a thoughtful gesture that I appreciate beyond measure! Thank you.