Pages

9/14/11

YA Scramble: PJ Hoover guest post topic!!



Start the YA Scramble here: Cyndi Tefft's blog.
Follow her instructions and continue going to each of the blogs listed.
You'll find what you're looking for in each of the words in purple,
unscramble our message and win epic prizes!!



Topic: What Makes Me Hang On Till The Last Page?

There are a gazillion books out there in the market right now, and we all know that every book is not for every person. And given the ease of sampling ebooks with my Nook (or Kindle), I can try out a different book every day. If I like it, I’ll buy it. If it doesn’t catch my interest, I’ll pass and move on to the next thing. I’m pretty easy. Lots of books catch my interest. But not all manage to hold it until the very last page. So what makes me want to stay up late into the night finishing a book? Hmmm...I’m going to go with a list on this one, because there are just so many possible elements. And it’s generally a combination of these elements blended together that turns a book into a 3:00 AM read.

I give you five things that make want to read a book from start to finish in one sitting.


1) Tension. On every page. I know, it’s hard, but it makes me turn pages like a crazy person. And cliffhanger endings for chapters. I can’t stop!


2) The hope that I’m going to be surprised. Because there is nothing like a “wow” to really prickle the satisfaction nerve.


3) A need to see how the main romantic characters finally end up together. Because when there is doubt that they will be together, I worry. And when I worry, I have to stay up late to make sure everything is all right.


4) Misunderstanding. Oh. It’s so frustrating, I know. And I’m not saying I’m a big fan of it. But what this misunderstanding does is make me want to read until everything has been worked out and everyone is friends again.


5) Small children in danger. I am a sucker for main characters with younger siblings who are thus put in the path of danger and the main character has to protect them. This makes my heart ACHE and works for me every time.



So there you have it. These things keep me flipping pages, one after another. I can’t stop. And isn’t that what the author wants: people not being able to stop reading? 

P. J. Hoover first fell in love with Greek mythology in sixth grade thanks to the book Mythology by Edith Hamilton. After a fifteen year bout as an electrical engineer designing computer chips for a living, P. J. decided to take her own stab at mythology and started writing books for kids and teens. P. J. is also a member of THE TEXAS SWEETHEARTS & SCOUNDRELS. When not writing, P. J. spends time with her husband and two kids and enjoys practicing Kung Fu, solving Rubik's cubes, and watching Star Trek. Her first novel for teens, Solstice, takes place in a Global Warming future and explores the parallel world of mythology beside our own. Her middle grade fantasy novels, The Emerald Tablet, The Navel of the World, and The Necropolis, chronicle the adventures of a boy who discovers he’s part of two feuding worlds hidden beneath the sea.


CONTACT INFO:  Website! // Facebook! // Twitter!  

Here's a list of the GRAND PRIZES if you're participating in The YA Scramble:
- ARC of The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab (with signed bookmark)
- Ebook of Soltice by PJ Hoover (with trading cards)
- Ebook of The Space Between by Alexandra Sokoloff
- Paperback copy of Perception by Heather Cashman
- Signed paperback ARC of Anathema by Kathleen Tucker
- Chronicles of Vladimir Tod Gift Set (Trade Paperback of Eighth Grade Bites, Vlad
Journal, Minion Bling Buttons and Vlad Tote)
- Signed paperback copy of Between by Cyndi Tefft
- Signed hardcover of Clarity by Kim Harrington
- ARC of Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
- Signed ARC of Fury by Elizabeth Miles
- Signed paperback of Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
- ARC of Tris & Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison
- Copy of The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney
- Winner's choice of 5 ebooks from a list of indie authors
- Signed paperback of Sleepers by Megg Jensen
- Ebooks of Soul Quest and The Guardian of Souls by Amy Jones
- Kindle copy of Winnemucca by Laura Elliott (plus a guest post spot on her blog!)
- Paperback copy of City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.



Also, the first 5 commenters on this post get a set of Solstice trading cards by the ever so lovely P.J. Hoover. Be sure to leave your name and email address!

9 comments:

  1. I'm always pulled in by a great love triangle..or square! And I'm a sucker for a hopeful reunion at the end after some kind of long separation, whether it be between lovers, friends, family members, etc. And of course, I just love seeing an evil plot or scheme unfold MWHAHAHAHA :P

    Aeicha
    wordspelunker at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the first 4 - but number 5 just makes me want to run in the opposite direction! Little kids and/or pets in peril equals a 'no' from me :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! :D I agree with most of it :)
    tammyb_2810(at)yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,yeah all the above things also make me want to finish a book in one sitting.Also I am really impatient to get to the end and see the happy ending.I'm a sucker for happy endings and I'm not satisfied till I get one!

    Janhvi
    justjanhvi at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of multiple surprises! That will definitely keep me turning the pages :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I'd love some trading cards! And this scramble is an awesome idea. I just hope I'm doing it right since I started at Kaitlin's! o.o

    mirrormera92 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the awesome giveaway! I just hope i'm doing this right! I started at Kaitlin's as it says on Megg's page! The scramble is an awesome idea!

    mirrormera92 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! A story and characters that keep me engaged are what keep me going to the last page. An excellent book is one that I wish that wouldn't have ended!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always interesting to see what keeps someone reading. I can agree with some of them, but honestly I don't know what it is that keeps me reading. I think that a lot of it has to do with writing style. Plot is totally important, but two books can have a similar concept and many of the same events and its all about how they are written that keep me reading.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. Comments are such a thoughtful gesture that I appreciate beyond measure! Thank you.